Can you install underfloor heating under floorboards?
Underfloor heating is a popular choice for many homeowners as it provides a cozy and comfortable environment. Underfloor heating is also a great cost-effective solution to heat your home without taking up additional wall space or the costly energy bill.
There is a whole range of flooring that you can place over underfloor heating including tiles, stone and carpet. One question customers frequently ask is, can you place timber flooring over underfloor heating? The short answer is yes with a few exceptions.
Underfloor heating: Solid Timber Flooring VS Engineered Timber Flooring
When it comes to selecting the timber flooring you want to use over underfloor heating it is important to understand the difference between solid timber flooring and engineered timber flooring.
An engineered timber plank consists of more than one layer as opposed to solid timber which is one single layer, or one single solid plank of wood. Solid timber flooring is more susceptible to environmental changes, particularly in the Australian climate such as cupping, warping and bowing.
Whereas engineered timber flooring is designed to withstand environmental factors making it less susceptible to cupping, bowing, and warping. Therefore, underfloor heating is not suitable for solid timber flooring but it is suitable for engineered timber flooring - conditions do still apply, it is important to always check with your Havwoods consultant to ensure your underfloor heating system and your selected timber flooring are compatible and meet all the requirements for optimal performance together.
What are the different types of underfloor heating available?
There are two types of underfloor heating: Electric and Hydronic. Electric heating involves laying heating wires under the floor and can usually be controlled by a thermostat. Hydronic underfloor heating, such as those supplied by HPP Hydronics consists of a network of pipes running under the floor, hot water will pass through these pipes heated by a boiler distributing heat through the timber to the room. With timber flooring, both electric and hydronic underfloor heating works well, ensuring it has been installed correctly to the required specifications.
The benefits of underfloor heating
There are many benefits to running underfloor heating, these include:
● Energy efficiency - underfloor heating enables you to warm up your home consistently as your entire floor is the source of heat as opposed to running your heater where there are bound to be cold spots. Underfloor heating also does not need to be heated to the same temperature as your heater to warm up your home, therefore, using less energy and saving you money.
● Safety and Comfort - Depending on your current climate you may be running your heater constantly during the winter and air conditioning during the summer. If your cooling/heating system filters are not cleaned and changed regularly you could be circulating excess dust and allergens in the air. Underfloor heating eliminates this problem entirely as all heating is provided via an electric or hydronic water heating system.
● Aesthetics and design space - Underfloor heating removes the need for heaters or radiators on the wall giving you space and freedom to create an aesthetically beautiful space to your taste.
● Low Maintenance - Electric and hydronic (water) underfloor heating systems require minimal maintenance once installed.
● Increases home resale value - Underfloor heating is a huge selling point when reselling your home, as it keeps your house warm during the colder months and saves on costs.
How can you achieve underfloor heating with Havwoods floors?
If you're considering updating your home with underfloor heating and want to use the latest in design and engineered timber flooring then Havwoods floors are a great option. They are strong and stable, making them the perfect material for underfloor heating. Our Havwoods consultants can take you through which heating systems will be compatible with which timber flooring products and ensure you have all the information required to successfully install underfloor heating under a beautiful new timber floor in no time. Get in contact with our friendly team who can talk to you about the best products for your project.
In addition, Havwoods floors come in a variety of colours and finishes to match your existing décor. Check out the Havwoods Floor Visualiser tool to visualise our vast range of options or order free samples to see your favourite options in your own home.