Versailles Parquetry: The French Pattern
These exquisite geometric timber patterned panels, known as 'Parquet de Versailles', were introduced in 1684 as an alternative to traditional marble flooring that required constant maintenance,
Also known as the French pattern, Versailles timber parquetry is no longer purely a display of opulence for the wealthy. It's now an affordable and highly aesthetic addition to any residential or commercial interior.
We offer Virtual Showroom Appointments. Contact us for more info.
WHAT IS VERSAILLES PARQUETRY?
Versailles timber flooring panels are a type of parquetry, which typically consist of precisely-cut geometric blocks crafted together to form a modular tile-like pattern. It is widely acknowledged that this elegant, old-world flooring design has its roots in the French palace of Versailles.
‘Parquet de Versailles’, which is a style of timber flooring, should not be confused with the Versailles tile pattern, which is typically made of travertine, and traditionally used in exteriors.
WHAT IS THE FRENCH PALACE OF VERSAILLES?
Originally just a humble hunting lodge outside of Paris, the palace of Versailles became a symbol of unparalleled opulence by the time of the French Revolution in the 18th century.
Louis XIII used the residence as an escape from the Parisian bustle, but his son Louis XIV had a much grander vision for the estate. In 1682, he began transforming the lodge into an opulent palace. He moved the French government and court to Versailles, which then became the focal point for French politics until the dawn of the French Revolution in 1789.
One of the most recognisable features of the palace include the vast parquet timber floors, laid down in ballrooms, parlours and halls.
WHY USE THE FRENCH PATTERN AS PART OF YOUR DESIGN
The French pattern can offer a range of benefits to your design concept, including:
- Opulence: There’s a reason why this pattern was used in the palace of Versailles. Transform your space with a statement of grandeur.
- Durability: Manufactured using the finest engineered timber, your Versailles floor boards are prefinished and treated, which means they’ll last longer than other flooring materials.
- Pre-assembled: Traditionally the Versailles pattern is created laying individual solid wood blocks, but our French flooring is available in pre-assembled 800 x 800mm timber panels for easy installation.
- Aesthetics: Textured or distressed to replicate genuine antiquity, Havwoods Versailles timber flooring panels have a fine aged appearance and come unfinished or with a natural oiled finish.
WHY CHOOSE VERSAILLES TIMBER PANELS FROM HAVWOODS?
Havwoods has been a supplier of the highest quality engineered and reclaimed timber products for over 40 years:
- Wood is our speciality: We understand the needs of consumer, trade and design, which means whether you’re buying for yourself or a client, we have the right flooring product for you.
- We source the best European oak: Your French flooring is a European design, manufactured from European wood.
- Delivery Australia-wide: We’ll deliver your French timber floor to any safe and accessible site in Australia, Monday-Friday, between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- Sustainability matters: We only source our timber flooring products from reliable and ethically-minded mills.
- Sample your floor before buying: Our entire Versailles range is available for order as a free sample. You can also visit a Havwoods showroom in Sydney, Newcastle or Melbourne to learn more about your chosen products.
We are now offering virtual showroom appointments
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Havwoods is now offering virtual showroom appointments. From the comfort of your own home, you’ll receive a personalised consultation and tour online. Contact us now to book your appointment!
There are some important changes and considerations in place to ensure the safety of you and our staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In booking a showroom appointment, you agree to the following in accordance with public health guidelines:
- A maximum of 1 guest per appointment with one Havwoods consultant
- No physical contact with staff
- All guests are to use provided hand sanitiser at the start of the appointment
- Bathrooms are available for hand washing
- If you are unwell, please do not book an appointment.
- A strict time limit of 30 minutes will be followed for appointments
We appreciate your understanding during these times and look forward to meeting with you for your complimentary 30 minute consultation with our experts.