What is engineered timber flooring?
Engineered timber floors are formed by joining multiple layers of wood to create a single floor board. The boards consist of a layer of natural solid wood, topped over layers of pine/ply or other species of wood beneath the tongue.
The term “engineered” does not mean the wood is synthetic. Laminate flooring, which is made from rubber, plastic or other synthetics, can be made to imitate the appearance of timber flooring. Engineered timber flooring is real wood, but the board itself has been manufactured out of different types of timber.
What are the benefits of specifying engineered timber flooring?
There are a range of benefits that engineered timber flooring can offer both commercial and residential renovation projects:
- Long-lasting: Engineered timber is well-known for its durability, which means it’s a much more cost-effective investment than solid timber.
- Versatile: Engineered wood floors can be seamlessly incorporated into a range of design styles and environments, which means designers and trade will please many clients by specifying engineered timber products.
- Aesthetics: The warm aesthetic appeal of engineered timber floor boards will create a design talking point in your space.
- Eco-friendly: The timber manufacturing process uses less resources than other materials. Engineered timber boards are produced using only one layer of solid wood, which means one tree can be used to produce many engineered timber floor boards than it could produce solid planks.
- Cost-effective: Particularly relevant for larger commercial projects, or open residential floor plans, engineered timber floors usually cost less than solid hardwood floors.
Convinced that an engineered timber floor might be the design solution for your project or renovation? Keep reading for answers to questions that you may have.
Does engineered timber flooring scratch easily?
As the top layer of an engineered timber floor board is solid wood, the floor is susceptible to scratches in the same way as other timber floors.
The type of finish applied to your engineered timber floor can, however, increase its scratch resistance. Speak with a Havwoods consultant for more information on which finishes are suitable for your particular project and requirements.
Is engineered wood waterproof?
While engineered timber floors aren’t waterproof, the layered design of engineered floorboards has proven to be much more resistant to moisture than solid wood floors.
Why choose engineered timber floorboards from Havwoods?
At Havwoods we pride ourselves on providing the best quality wood floors for our clients and customers:
- We source the best European oak: Our engineered timber flooring products are manufactured using wood from the finest European oak timber mills.
- Delivery Australia-wide: We’ll deliver your engineered timber floor to any safe and accessible site in Australia, Monday-Friday, between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- Sustainability matters: We source our engineered timber products from environmentally responsible mills because they are the most intensively managed in the world. By choosing timber, you are choosing the environment.
- See our products before committing: We understand that choosing a new floor is a commitment, so we offer all our customers the chance to order a free sample of any one of our floors before final purchase.
We are now offering virtual showroom appointments
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Havwoods is now offering virtual showroom appointments. From the comfort of your own home, you’ll receive a personalised consultation and tour online. Contact us now to book your appointment!