What is engineered timber flooring?
An engineered wood floor is constructed of layers of both hardwood and plywood. Engineered hardwood construction has durable, high-performance qualities that solid timber flooring does not.
What is solid timber flooring?
Solid or hardwood timber floors are made of one solid piece of wood. The planks are thickly cut, and manufactured from a single type of wood with no layers.
Solid wood floors have been in use for centuries, by both rich and poor. The European elite could afford to lay their timber floors in intricate patterns, or carve designs and murals into timber blocks. The poor and middle classes were still able to afford timber, but typically laid their floors in simpler arrangements.
Today, solid and hardwood timber floors are an affordable option for everyone, although solid is still typically more expensive than engineered due to needing more trees to produce it. You can opt for the classic aesthetic of a pure timber plank, or go for a grander arrangement, such as parquetry. Timber offers many possibilities for your space.
What is the difference between solid and engineered timber floors?
Solid timber flooring is produced from timber planks without layers, whereas engineered timber planks are manufactured by layering different pieces of wood to produce a single board.
Which type of timber flooring is best?
It’s natural you may be unsure about whether to choose solid timber, engineered timber, reclaimed timber or other kinds of planks. Choosing a timber floor is less about which is “best”, and more about which is the most appropriate for your intended use of the space.
Variables you should consider include:
- Property value: Timber floors will add more value to your home or business premises, which means if you plan to sell, they may be a better option for you.
- Eco-friendliness: Engineered timber floors are the most eco-friendly option, because the manufacturing process allows a single tree to produce more boards. Many engineered timber floors now carry certification to ensure they are responsibly sourced from sustainable forest. Read more about the eco-friendliness of timber here.
- Aesthetics: Both will provide the natural, warm and inviting aesthetic you’re looking for, with significant mental health benefits. Reclaimed timber will offer a rustic and raw aesthetic, which create intriguing talking points and a space with personality.
- Stability: A key benefit of engineered timber flooring is that it has a higher stability level in a wider range of environments than that of solid timber floors. Due to its layered construction, engineered timber is able to be used in higher humidity, and often even over underfloor heating - not possible with solid timber flooring.
- Flexibility of application: Engineered timber flooring offers more options for installation. Engineered can be installed as a floating floor or direct stick install using glue. Solid timber floors can only be nailed or stapled down and are not able to be floated. A floating floor installation is quick and easy to install, and can easily be removed if moving out or upgrading. Floating floors are a fantastic option for retail, office and hospitality spaces where time is of essence and interiors are often changing.
- Maintenance: Cleaning and maintenance are simple for both solid and engineered timber floors. You can sand solid timber numerous times, but it is a costly and messy endeavour! Because engineered timber comes prefinished, the boards can only withstand sanding a few times depending upon the thickness of the floor and this may remove the original finish, depending on the product. Given that only 8% of timber floors are ever resanded, and the durability of engineered pre-finishes is top-notch, this is often not a concern.
How long does timber flooring last?
Solid and engineered timber floors will both last a number of decades, depending upon how you use the space where the floor is to be installed.
Why choose wood for your new floor?
Wood offers a range of benefits compared with other types of flooring:
- Design: Timber floors offer a natural aesthetic that carpet, vinyl, tile and laminate floors can’t compete with.
- Environmentally friendly: Timber is the most eco-friendly flooring material, because wood is natural, whereas carpet, vinyl and laminate are always synthetically produced. Timber floorboards also store CO2, keeping it out of our precious atmosphere for longer.
- Versatility: A range of spaces can benefit from wood floors. They’re suitable for both residential and commercial applications.
- Moisture resistance: Engineered timber is prefinished and offers some resistance to moisture. If wet, wood floors can be cleaned more easily than carpeted floors.
- Cost-effective: Whether you choose solid or engineered timber, a wood floor will last much longer than laminate, vinyl and carpeted floors. This means you get the most value for your money with a timber floor.
Why choose a timber floor from Havwoods?
Timber flooring has been Havwoods’ passion and primary focus for over 40 years, and we are continually updating our portfolio to bring you the most technically advanced and aesthetically interesting timber flooring planks and blocks available anywhere in the world:
- We source the best European oak: Your timber floor is sourced from the most reputable European oak timber mills.
- Delivery Australia-wide: We’ll deliver your new floor boards or planks to any safe and accessible site in Australia, Monday-Friday, between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- Sustainability matters: We source our timber from environmentally responsible mills because they are the most intensively managed in the world. By choosing timber, you are choosing the environment.
- See your new floor before buying: We encourage you to order a sample of your flooring favourites to see how a timber floor looks and feels in your space. You can also visit a Havwoods showroom in Sydney, Newcastle or Melbourne to learn more about your chosen products.
Designed for alternative use as wall cladding
All Havwoods flooring products are designed for alternative use as wall cladding panels. Simply have your favourite product delivered, and install as cladding to create feature walls with personality.
We are now offering virtual showroom appointments
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Havwoods is now offering virtual showroom appointments. From the comfort of your own home, you’ll receive a personalised consultation and tour online. Contact us now to book your appointment!